Friday, 31 October 2014

Emily Cremona

Hi Darlings!

This is a very exciting post for me as this is my first collaboration with a designer! Please meet the delightful Deena Wassef of Emily Cremona a Beirut based design house.



Deena and I met at trapeze class (where else?) and soon discovered we had a lot in common - mainly sarcasm as, prior to New York, she had lived in London like me. For this shoot she lent me a beautiful skirt from her collection which I styled in four different ways a la Ruthie Darling. We also did a short interview to find out more about Emily Cremona. Enjoy!






1. Deena, tell me a little about how Emily Cremona began

No beginning, no end...timeless... okay I won't start off with sarcasm..

2. Deena, cut it out this a very serious blog. So, um, when did you know you wanted to be a designer?

When I was three I fell in love with my grandmother's sewing ma--- hah no no. (Deena!!!) It's not one of those stories. I've always been fascinated by science- astrophysics- the cosmos. I wouldn't quite label myself as a designer, but I will let you know when I discover that I want to be a one. I might have been one though during Edwardian times.























































3. How would you describe your brand?

Emily Cremona’s vision expresses conceptual pieces that reflect costume and theatre merged into high-end couture wearable pieces. My future venture will be to the cosmos to create garments, or as I like to call them, “technological costumes”.  Not only do I comprehend the world of costume design, but as I'm now training to become an aerialist, I also understand where translating a move into a costume piece will come from. Fashion and costume design was only one of many branches I have explored and my future projects will be exploring the intersections of costume, science and technology by creating materials of the future.


4. Describe your typical customer

Androgynous, a dandy, a dreamer, a poet...see below from my Du Fleurs collection..
























































Model/Photographer: George Zouein

5. Explain "greige"

Greige is a moment in space and time where grey and beige intertwine





































6. What was your greatest moment as a designer?

When I decided that I didn't want to be one anymore. 

7. Where do you like to shop?


Actually I abhor shopping. Our universe would be brighter if we were closer to our skins- nudity- aah I see that revolution towards nudity happening soon- clothes are skin polluting! 
















Top by Emily Cremona

8. Brooklyn or Manhattan?

More like brooshwick (brooklyn-bushwick) 

9. London or New York?


London.. hold on...New York!  Oh no London. Right now I miss home a lot- BEIRUT!




10.  Cup of tea or cup of coffee? (Think carefully now Deena)

Cup of watahhh. Earthling drink more wataaaa-h


Thanks Deena, I feel like we have been on an interesting journey through your brain (I need a sit down). Oh and I can't wait to add the term "greige" to my lexicon.







Deena wear leather top: XXVI by Emily Cremona and Scars of Venus
Ruthie wears: Striped Top: Forever 21, Cream shirt: Vintage Skin Coloured Shirt: Necessary Clothing Grey Top: Emily Cremona Grey jacket: Primark

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you my friend. You have made it so far. Stay adventurous Deena <3
    -Meera

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the crazy amazing Deena I know! <3

    ReplyDelete